0 item(s): $0.00


Here is a list of Frequently Asked Questions concerning dining on campus. If you don't find the answer to your question, please send us an email to pinks-heather@aramark.com and we'll get back to you as soon as possible.

View all questions

Meal Plans

How do I sign up for a Meal Plan?

If you are a residential high school student, you are automatically signed up for the full meal plan of nineteen meals per week. College freshmen or sophomores living in the residence halls are automatically signed up for the 300 meal plan. College freshmen or sophomores living in the Bailey Street apartments as well as college juniors and seniors  are set-up with the 175 meal plan when they sign up for housing. Changes during the course of the year should be arranged through the Director of Auxiliary Services.

How do the Meal Plans work?

The plans are simple. For high school, each meal plan is based on a weekly allotment of meals. There are nineteen meal periods per week—breakfast, lunch, and dinner, Monday through Saturday, and brunch, and dinner on Sunday. An alternate meal plan, containing 10 meals, is available to commuting high school students. You receive your selected number of meals each Sunday of the semester.  At the close of the last meal period on Saturday, any unused meals expire and you receive a new allotment of nineteen or ten meals for the following week. Only 1 meal can be used per meal period.
For college students, you have 300 or 175 meals allotted for the semester. Remaining meals do not carry over from semester to semester. If you run out of meals before the end of the semester, you can either purchase a block plan or pay at the door for your meal using cash, Pickle Dollars or Bonus Bucks.

When I purchase a meal plan, is it just for one semester?

Yes, when you purchase a meal plan, you make a purchase for only one semester. This applies to upper-class students as well as high school. You are billed per semester by Student Accounts.

Why are high school students required to have a meal plan?

The meal plan helps students to make a successful transition from living at home to living on their own. It helps with the socialization process as well.

Can I treat a friend by using my meal plan?

It depends. All-you-care-to-eat meals are only for your use and you may use only one meal per meal period. If you would like to treat a friend, you can use your Bonus Bucks, Pickle Dollars or use an additional meal if you’re on a Block Plan.

What happens to my unused Bonus Bucks at the end of the semester?

Your unused meal plan Bonus Bucks will transfer from fall to spring semester. Be sure to use them by the end of the spring semester. At the end of the spring semester, unused Bonus Bucks are non-refundable and cannot be transferred to the new academic year.

Is there any way I can be released from a meal plan?

Exceptions to the meal plan are made only for acute and severe health reasons or upon official withdrawal from the school. Appeals must be made to the Meal Plan Appeal Committee. Appeal forms are available below.

Requests for Release from Meal Plan
Students who have unusual circumstances, e.g., medical or psychological related Students who have unusual circumstances, e.g., medical or psychological related conditions, may appeal to the Director of Auxiliary Services to change their meal plan. Changes in meal plans will only take effect prior to the beginning of the requested semester. 

Requests from students not required to be on a specific plan need to be received before classes begin (preferably before the residence halls open for the semester). Requests should be submitted by mail or email to the Director of Auxiliary Services. Once you arrive on campus and if you use any of the meals or bonus bucks associated with your meal plan, you will not be able to make an adjustment until the next semester.

  • What are unusual circumstances
    The circumstances may include medical or psychological needs or restrictions, as well as other unusual conditions. The student must outline what his/her unusual circumstance is as part of the appeal process and provide written medical and/ or other documentation to support the request. 
  • Documentation
    Supporting documentation describing in detail the medical condition, time period of treatment and how eating on campus may impact that condition, as well as a complete listing of the unusual dietary needs must be shared with either the Director of Health Services, the Director of Counseling Services and/or the Director of Dining Services. Those staff members will review the documentation and may contact the reporting parties for additional information. The staff reviewing the documentation will be asked by the Meal Plan Appeal Committee for their recommendation as to accept or deny the appeal. The Nutritionist in Health Services and the Director of Dining Services are members of the Meal Plan Appeal Committee, so they determine to what extent dining services can accommodate special dietary needs.

The process for submitting an appeal: 
A form for an appeal may be secured from the Dining Service website. The Director of Auxiliary Services will schedule a meeting of the Meal Plan Appeal Committee to allow the student to present his/her case. The Director of Auxiliary Services will notify each student by mail of the initial decision on his/ her appeal. If the appeal is upheld, the Director of Auxiliary Services will notify the student, Dining Services and the Student Accounts Office. Please note: Until the Director of Auxiliary Services notifies the various offices that an appeal has been upheld, a student may well be enrolled and billed for the meal plan.

Appeal Form and Information

The decisions of the Meal Plan Appeal Committee are final.  A student may submit a new appeal in a subsequent semester if he or she had new grounds for an appeal.

  • The membership and purpose of the Meal Plan Appeal Committee: 
    The Meal Plan Appeal Committee is composed of: Director of Auxiliary Services, UNCSA Food Services Director; UNCSA Nutritionist; a Faculty/Staff Member and a student selected by SAA. The committee hears appeals from those students who may have highly unusual reasons for requesting exceptions from the board/meal plan regulations. In order to make such an appeal, a student should contract the Director of Auxiliary Services. 

    An application for meal plan changes during the academic year must be submitted according to the following schedule:

April 5  for a fall semester change (July 12 for a fall semester change for new students) November 1 for a spring semester change.

What if I have special dietary requirements?

If you have any special dietary needs or concerns, please call Dining Services at (336) 770-3327. Our locations offer vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free menu items. You may also want to talk to the Director of Dining Services who can help you select appropriate menu items.

How do I use the Meal Plan

Your Meal Plan is encoded on your One Card campus ID card. You must present this card when you eat a meal or make a purchase. Your meals will be deducted as appropriate. Only one meal can be used per meal period on the meal plans.

What if I lost my One Card ID card?

REPORT A LOST CARD IMMEDIATELY by calling the One Card Office at (336) 770-1429 or UNCSA Police Department (336) 770-3321. UNC School of the Arts is not responsible for any funds expended or the use of any lost or stolen cards. In addition, you are responsible for any charges you may make or attempt to make on your ID card. The UNCSA One Card replacement fee is $10.

When can I use the Meal Plan?

The first meal of the semester is on the day the residence halls open and the last meal to be served will be on the day the residence halls close.

What if I have a question or need help during the school year?

Contact Heather Pinks, Food Service Director, at (336) 770-3327.

Can food be carried out of the Dining Hall?


What happens to the Meal Plan during the holidays?

Dining services is available in the Dining Hall during the holidays when school is in session.

Who sets the pricing for the vendors?

Dining Services reviews and approves the pricing structures. Pricing must be competitive with similar operations.

Who watches over vendor quality?

Our Dining Services Management team regularly monitors vendor services and products. We welcome any comments or suggestions regarding vendor services.


Where can I find more info on nutrition?

For more on Nutritional Information and Healthy for Life initiatives, visit our Eat Well section.

Why do I have to create an account in order to check out?

For you, and us, to be able to best track orders, and to be able to contact you in case of a question regarding your order we ask that you create a CampusDish account.

How do I create an account?

Click the "Login" button, and then on the login page click the "create a new account" link.

How do I find more about Nutritional Information?

Use our Comparison Box and Nutritional Calculator to get the most out of your eating decisions. Select products from the Menu section and use one of the options below to get accurate comparisons and information about your choices. 

For more on Nutritional Information and Healthy for Life initiatives, visit our Eat Well section.